A fresh coat of paint can do wonders for old furniture! But if you’ve never painted furniture before, the process can seem a bit daunting. Never fear! With these tips, you’ll be painting furniture like a pro in no time.
At A Ray of Sunlight we’ve been painting and selling furniture since 2014. So I’ve made plenty of mistakes and I’ve learned a lot along the way.
Keep reading for all of the tips, tricks and ideas that will help you with your furniture painting projects… so you don’t make those same mistakes that I’ve made. haha
Do you have a piece of furniture that you love but it doesn’t match your decor anymore? Or maybe you found a great piece at a garage sale or thrift store but it needs a little TLC.
Either way, painting furniture is a great way to give new life to an old piece.
But before you start painting, there are a few things you need to know. Here are some tips on how to paint furniture.
Furniture Painting Tips
Let’s go over the basic steps to painting furniture to get the best results.
- How to Prepare Furniture for Painting
- Cleaning before Painting Furniture
- How to Repair Furniture Before Painting
- Filling Holes When Replacing Cabinet or Furniture Hardware
- Sanding Before Painting Furniture
- How to Get Rid of Bleed Through
- How to Paint Furniture Without Brush Marks
- How to Get Rid of Smoke Smell in Furniture
- How to Stop Wood Knots from Bleeding Through Paint
- Topcoat for Painting Furniture
- How to Hide Wood Grain When Painting
- How to Use a Lead Paint Test Kit (With Pictures)
- Chalk Paint Secrets | What You Need to Know
Best Furniture Painting Tools and Supplies
Here are some great tools to use when painting furniture.
- 10 Must Have Supplies When Painting Furniture
- The Best Paint Brush for Painting Furniture
- The Best Roller for Painting Furniture
- The Best HVLP Paint Sprayers for Painting Furniture
- Best Tools for Removing Paint from Wood
- Best Sander for Furniture
- Best Sander to Remove Paint
- Best Primers for Painting Furniture
- Best Wood Filler for Furniture
- Best Polyurethane for Furniture
- Best Wagner Paint Sprayers for Furniture
Painting Furniture Color Ideas
Are you looking for furniture painting ideas based on the color of paint?
Here are a bunch of ideas for you!
- Black Painted Furniture Ideas
- Best Green Painted Furniture Ideas
- Gray Painted Furniture Ideas
- Blue Painted Furniture
- Painting a Dresser White
- Yellow Painted Furniture Ideas
- How To Paint Fabric With Chalk Paint
- How to Paint a Dresser White
- Painting Furniture White
- The Shiplap Coffee Table with a Painted Weathered Wood Top
- Adding Legs to a Nightstand
- How to Paint a Dresser White
- Printmaker’s Farmhouse Industrial Coffee Table
- Antique China Hutch Makeover
- Homemade Chalk Paint Dresser Makeover
- How to Spray Paint a Dresser with Chalk Paint
- How to Stencil Furniture with a Raised Texture
- DIY Card Catalog Dresser Makeover
- DIY Pink Dresser
- Pink Vintage Dresser with Gold Hardware
- Painted Hallway Cabinet Makeover
- Painted Fabric Chair
How to Make Money Painting Furniture
Want to turn your furniture painting hobby into a side gig?
You aren’t alone! That’s how I got started painting furniture full time!
I bought and sold furniture for a few years to make some extra cash for my family.
I sold furniture locally but I also sold on Etsy and shipped it across the country!
Now I focus most of my time on sharing tips for painting furniture, but I still have my pricing sheet that you can snag for free!
Enter your email below and I’ll send it over to you!