A fresh coat of paint can do wonders for old furniture! But if you’ve never painted furniture before, the process can seem a bit daunting. Never fear! With these tips, you’ll be painting furniture like a pro in no time.
At A Ray of Sunlight we’ve been painting and selling furniture since 2014. So I’ve made plenty of mistakes and I’ve learned a lot along the way. Keep reading for all of the tips, tricks and ideas that will help you with your furniture painting projects… so you don’t make those same mistakes that I’ve made. haha
Do you have a piece of furniture that you love but it doesn’t match your decor anymore? Or maybe you found a great piece at a garage sale or thrift store but it needs a little TLC.
Either way, painting furniture is a great way to give new life to an old piece. But before you start painting, there are a few things you need to know. Here are some tips on how to paint furniture.
Furniture Painting Tips
Painting furniture can be a fun and easy way to create a new look for your home without breaking the bank.
For those embarking on their first painting project, there are some essential tips to keep in mind. We’ve put together a list of tips to help you get the best results from your project.
Let’s go over the basic steps to painting furniture to get the best results.
The Basics of Painting Furniture
Before you can start adding color, there are some basics that need to be taken care of first. Preparing the surface is essential to giving your newly painted furniture the perfect finish.
Cleaning, sanding, priming, and topcoating will ensure maximum adhesion and durability for your paint job.
- How to Prepare Furniture for Painting
- How to Clean Furniture Before Painting
- Sanding Before Painting Furniture
- Topcoat for Painting Furniture
- How to Apply Polycrylic to Painted Furniture
- How to Stop Stains from Coming Through Paint
- How to Stop Wood Knots from Bleeding Through Paint
- How to Use a Lead Paint Test Kit (With Pictures)
- Sealing Painted Furniture: And How to Choose the Right Sealant for Your Project
Intermediate Tips for Painting Furniture
Ready to take your furniture painting to the next level? Start with a few intermediate tips that will take your makeover to the next level.
- How to Paint Furniture Without Brush Marks
- Repairing Old Furniture
- How to Hide Wood Grain When Painting
- Filling Holes When Replacing Cabinet or Furniture Hardware
- How to Get Rid of Smoke Smell in Furniture
- Painting Techniques for Furniture
- Painting Furniture with a Sprayer
- How to Stencil Without Bleeding
- How to Paint Over Chalk Paint
Best Furniture Painting Tools and Supplies
When you’re ready to start painting furniture, it’s important to have the right tools and supplies. We’ve compiled a list of our posts on these topics to help get you started.
From brushes, sandpaper, topcoat, paint sprayers and more – these resources will help you choose the best tools and supplies so that your painted furniture looks its very best.
With the right products in hand and a bit of know-how, you’ll be ready to transform any piece into a work of art. Here are some of the best furniture painting tools and supplies.
When selecting the supplies for your project, consider things like the type of paint, primers, and protective coatings.
- Best Painting Furniture Supplies
- Best Wood Fillers
- Best Sandpaper for Furniture Painting
- Best Primers for Painting Furniture
- Types of Paint for Furniture
- Best Polyurethane for Furniture
- Chalk Painting
Having the perfect brush, sandpaper grade, and safety equipment can help you achieve a beautiful finish that will last for years to come.
- Best Paint Brushes for Painting Furniture
- Best Rollers for Painting Furniture
- Best HVLP Paint Sprayers for Furniture
- Best Wagner Paint Sprayers for Furniture
- Best Sanders for Furniture
- Spray Paint Tools
- How to Use a Paint Sprayer on Furniture
Tools for Removing Paint
Now I know this is a post about painting furniture, but sometimes we need to remove paint too! With these tools you’ll be well on your way to enjoying the process of removing paint!
Painting Furniture Ideas
Are you looking for furniture painting ideas based on the color of paint, or the type of furniture you’re painting?
Painting offers endless possibilities for bringing tired furniture back to life.
From classic styles like a distressed finish or two-tone look to bold patterns and bright accent colors, there are countless ways you can use paint to give your old furniture a fresh look.
Whether you are looking for a subtle update or something more dramatic, these ideas will help you find the perfect way to makeover your space.
Furniture Color Ideas
Have fun exploring all of your color options! Don’t be afraid to take risks and use complementary colors for accent pieces.
- Black Painted Furniture
- Best Green Painted Furniture Ideas
- Gray Painted Furniture
- Blue Painted Furniture
- Navy Painted Furniture
- Yellow Painted Furniture
- White Painted Furniture
- White Painted Dressers
- Pink Painted Furniture
- Painted Furniture Colors
- Light Blue Painted Furniture
- Dark Green Painted Furniture
Painted Furniture Ideas
Are you looking for ideas based on the type of furniture instead of the color?
Whether you’re looking to paint your dresser, nightstands, cedar chest, or buffet, you can create a unique piece that fits your style and budget.
- Painted Dresser Ideas
- Painted China Cabinet Ideas
- Painted Nightstands Ideas
- Painted Cedar Chest Ideas
- DIY Dresser Makeovers
- Furniture Makeover Ideas
- Painted Buffet Ideas
- Floral Painted Furniture
- Chalk Painted Furniture
- Best Faux Card Catalog Makeovers
- Painted Desk Ideas
- Distressed Painted Furniture
- Antique Painted Furniture
- Shabby Chic Painted Furniture
Fabric Furniture Makeovers
You can paint more than wood, plastic and laminate furniture! Paint your fabric furniture like chairs and sofas on a budget too!
How to Make Money Painting Furniture
Want to turn your furniture painting hobby into a side gig? You aren’t alone! That’s how I got started painting furniture full time!
I bought and sold furniture for a few years to make some extra cash for my family.
I sold furniture locally but I also sold on Etsy and shipped it across the country!
Now I focus most of my time on sharing tips for painting furniture, but I still have my pricing sheet that you can snag for free! Enter your email below and I’ll send it over to you!
More Painting Furniture Resources
- Heirloom Traditions Paint Before and Afters
- The Best Paint for Furniture
- Repainting Furniture
- What is the Difference Between Chalk Paint and Regular Paint
- Painting Over Oil Based Stain
Follow us on YouTube to get more tips for painting furniture.
Or share your project with us on our Facebook Group and be part of our community. See you there!