With the holidays coming up, here are more DIY farmhouse Christmas decor ideas for you to try out! This DIY dowel Christmas tree is a simple yet eye-catching addition to your holiday home. Not only is it a great way to get creative, but it also adds a personal touch that store-bought decorations just can’t match.
Plus, you’ll have fun making it and be proud of your handiwork once it’s done. So gather your materials and let’s get started on this project!
Using dowels for a Christmas tree may sound unconventional, but it’s a fun and cost-effective way to add some unique holiday decor to your home.
This DIY project is perfect for those who love to get creative and personalize their decorations. Plus, it’s a great way to repurpose materials you may already have at home.
One of the best things about using dowels for a DIY Christmas tree is that you can easily adjust its size according to your space limitations.
Whether you have a small apartment or a large living room, you can make this project work for your space.
Plus, there are endless possibilities for customization – from the color of the paint to the ornaments you choose to hang. So why not give this DIY dowel Christmas tree a try?
Supplies Used for DIY Dowel Christmas Tree
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. I also may earn from other qualifying purchases with other companies or get free product to review and use. All opinions are my own.
- Three (3) 1/2 x 18 Inch Dowel Rod
- Three (3) 1/2 x 12 Inch Dowel Rod
- Paper Tape
- White Spray Paint or Regular Paint
- Screw-in Hook
- Christmas Baubles
- Glue Gun and Stick Glue
- Twine String
- Any star available to you for the top of the Christmas tree
After gathering all your supplies, follow these simple steps to create your very own DIY dowel Christmas tree.
Form and Glue Dowels to Christmas Tree
Next, attach the long dowels on each corner of the triangle using paper tape as well. This will serve as the base structure for your DIY Christmas tree.
Once you have secured all the connections with paper tape, use a glue gun to reinforce them. This will make sure that your Christmas tree is sturdy and can hold the weight of the ornaments.
Don’t forget to also glue in the screw part of the hook on top of your tree. Make sure that all the glue has dried before moving on to the next step.
Take this time to check if the tree stands up straight or if adjustments need to be made. This is important as you don’t want your tree to fall apart in the middle of painting or decorating.
You can also check out this guide for creating your own homemade wooden Christmas tree that you can add and customize according to your holiday theme.
But if you want to buy a ready made Christmas tree, check out these painted wooden Christmas trees that are both stylish and customizable.
Paint Dowel Christmas Tree
Spray painting your dowel Christmas tree with white gives it a clean and modern look that is perfect for any home.
But if you want to get creative, feel free to use any color of your choice. You can even opt for a metallic finish to add some extra holiday sparkle.
If you don’t have spray paint, don’t worry! You can use regular paint and a brush to get the same effect.
Just make sure to wait for the paint to dry completely. This will prevent any smudging or smearing of the paint.
Set Up and Attach Baubles
You can use any colors or patterns you like for your baubles to add some festive flair. Once the paint is completely dry, hang the baubles on your dowel Christmas tree using the hook.
Decorate Your Dowel Christmas Tree
Decorating your DIY dowel Christmas tree is where you can really let your creativity shine.
But since the dowels are relatively thin, they may not be able to hold heavy or bulky ornaments. Instead, opt for small and lightweight decorations such as mini ornaments and ribbons.
For the top of the tree, you can use a star or any other ornament that fits your theme. You can even add some lights to really make your tree stand out.
And don’t forget about the space under the tree – you can place presents or small figurines to complete the look.
And if you want to change up the look of your DIY dowel Christmas tree, you can easily do so by switching out the baubles and other decorations.
This makes it a versatile piece that you can use year after year, while still giving it a fresh new look each time.
Can I add more dowels to make a fuller tree?
Yes, you can definitely add more dowels to make a fuller tree! In fact, this DIY project is easily customizable and you can adjust the number of dowels according to your desired size and fullness.
Just make sure to secure the connections between the dowels properly with paper tape and reinforce them with a glue gun for stability.
Additionally, you may want to consider using a thicker or sturdier base for the structure if you plan on adding more dowels.
You can always start with a smaller number of dowels and add more if needed, so don’t be afraid to experiment and see what works best for your space.
Can I use this DIY dowel Christmas tree outside?
Sure, you can definitely use this DIY dowel Christmas tree outside! However, keep in mind that the materials used may not be able to withstand harsh weather conditions.
If you plan on placing it outside, consider using waterproof paint and securing the base of the tree with weights or stakes to prevent it from falling over.
If you want more outdoor Christmas tree ideas, check out these 11 DIY outdoor Christmas tree ideas!
We hope this dowel Christmas tree project has inspired you to get crafty for the holidays. Not only is it a fun and affordable way to decorate your home, but it also allows for endless customization.
Plus, you can feel good about repurposing materials and creating a one of a kind piece for your Christmas decor.
- Form a triangular shape with three short dowels and secure them with paper tape. Then attach the long dowels to each corner of the triangle using paper tape as well, creating the base structure of your DIY Christmas tree.
- Use a glue gun to reinforce all the connections and make sure the tree is sturdy enough to hold ornaments. Don't forget to also attach a screw-in hook on top for hanging decorations.
- Once everything is secured, spray paint or paint your dowel Christmas tree in the color of your choice. Wait for the paint to dry completely before moving on to the next step.
- While waiting for the paint to dry, tie baubles onto a twine string and hang them on the tree using the hook. Get creative with different colors and patterns for a festive touch.
- Now comes the fun part - decorating your DIY dowel Christmas tree! Use lightweight decorations such as mini ornaments and ribbons to prevent weighing down the thin dowels. You can also add a star or lights on top for an extra special touch.
- If desired, you can add more dowels to make the tree fuller. Just be sure to secure them properly with paper tape and reinforce with glue for stability.
- And voila, your DIY dowel Christmas tree is complete! You can use it year after year and switch up the decorations for a new look. Just remember to secure the base and consider using waterproof materials if displaying outside.
More Christmas Decor Ideas
- DIY Christmas Village
- DIY Farmhouse Christmas Wreath
- DIY Painted Christmas Village
- Rustic Christmas Coffee Table Decor
Follow us on YouTube to get more tips for painting furniture.
Or share your project with us on our Facebook Group and be part of our community. See you there!